Helen’s Hosts Ongoing series of BC/EFA Benefits Beginning Aug. 8
Cabaret producer and BC/EFA volunteer Joseph Macchia has launched an exciting new fundraising initiative – “Cabaret Cares,” a series of Monday night benefit performances in the 65-seat Hideaway Lounge at Helen’s in Chelsea.
And, since Broadway is dark on Mondays, many of these intimate evenings will feature stars from some of New York’s biggest shows.
All cover charges from the series will be donated to Broadway Cares, said Macchia, who developed the idea after producing several shows at Helen’s earlier this year. “I decided to take it to the next level by reaching out to the Broadway community,” he said.
Macchia and co-producers Colm Reilly and Shane Mathews envision “Cabaret Cares” as an annual series that will follow this year’s schedule, beginning in August and finishing with a big event around the holidays.
“This year, we’re going to end in December with a big extravaganza,” he said. ”For that evening, the benefit will move from the ‘Hideaway Room’ into the larger restaurant area where we’ll offer dinner and cocktails. The entertainers will perform in the Piano Lounge area.”
An eclectic mix of high-profile talent
The series kicks off August 8 with “A Tribute to Noel Coward,” hosted by KT Sullivan and Karen Kohler. Cover charges will vary and most shows will include a $15 food/drink minimum.
Other scheduled dates include:
- August 15 will feature performances by cast members from The Producers ($25 cover charge);
- August 22 offers cast members from the long-running Off-Broadway hit Naked Boys Singing. ($25 cover);
- August 29 spotlights cabaret performer Barbara Bussell ($25 cover);
- Sept 12, the cast of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang will appear.
(Cover charge TBD), and
- Sept. 19 includes Rena Strober from Les Miserables with a special guest appearance by David Finch, BC/EFA staffer and Kit-Kat Club musician in Broadway’s Cabaret.
Performers for additional dates will be determined in the coming weeks.
Cabaret Cares is held Monday Nights at 8:00 in the cozy Hideaway Room at Helen’s. 169 8 th Ave, between 18 th and 19 th Streets. This series begins August 8 and runs through December. Call (212) 206-0609 for more information. Cabaret Cares is produced by Joseph John Productions, Joseph Macchia and Raise the Bar Productions.