Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS
What we do together, makes a difference
Volunteer for the Bucket Brigade
Thank you for your interest in joining the Bucket Brigade, volunteers who serve as representatives of Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS at the post-show appeals that occur for six weeks, twice a year. Appeals usually involve a cast member making a speech just after the curtain call, explaining what Broadway Cares does and asking for any donations. As the audience leaves, they’ll see volunteers at the exits, holding red buckets for their cash donations.
- Shifts are approximately 30 minutes and will be assigned based on your availability. Multiple shifts may occur when, because of varying end times for shows, you go from one theatre to the next.
- Evening shifts fall between between 8 pm-11:30 pm
- Weekday and weekend matinee shifts fall between 3 pm-6 pm
- Broadway and Off-Broadway theatres from 41st to 54th Streets between Sixth and Ninth Avenues. Sometimes you may be assigned to theatres in other parts of Manhattan, depending on where you live and your stated willingness to travel.
- Hold a bucket accepting donations
- Run an electronic credit card device
- Handle unique show memorabilia available to donors
- Smile and thank people for their donations
- There is typically more than one volunteer at each theatre collecting, in addition to any company members that may help
- Instructions are given about where to report at the theatre prior to your scheduled shift
- Once you are done holding the bucket, you will be instructed where it goes. You will never take the money in the bucket anywhere outdoors or beyond the theatre.
- Unfortunately you cannot watch the show at which you are collecting
- We discourage everyone from bringing packages or bags with you. Please plan to travel light. No children or pets may attend with you.
- Bucket brigade volunteers must be at least 18 years old
Bucket Brigade Sign-up
If you are available at least two Saturdays during the six-week appeals period and for the weekend of Easter, you may express interest in joining the Bucket Brigade by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tell us why you would like to join the Bucket Brigade. And include your name, cell phone number and confirmation that you are available Easter weekend. We aren’t yet certain whether we will need to add to our reliable volunteer pool, but we will reach out should we need to do so.
If you’d like to volunteer for other events or activities, please contact our volunteer coordinator, Scott Stevens, via email at email@example.com or by calling him at 212.840.0770.